Thursday, October 9, 2008

Paging Dr. Freud

Jamie's favorite game, as many of you may be aware, is "Heroes," or "Superheroes." It can be slightly challenging as an adult to participate, since it is not at all clear what the game actually consists of. I have, however, been given something of a niche, in that I am almost always the bad guy. Connor often gets to be Robin and Sarah can be Batgirl or Wonder Woman, but I guess you need an enemy to be a hero and that enemy is me. So in this role I have been punched, kicked, jumped on, tackled, bataranged, put into hot lava and repeatedly incarcerated.

These things, of course, I take for the most part to be standard parental treatment, but sometimes I suspect that there is some symbolic import to all of this. For instance, not too long ago Jamie asked Sarah, with me in the room, I might add, "Mom, when Dad is worn out will you marry someone else....like me?" Ouch.

A similar ambivalence was directed at another couple recently. We got power back a full week before Jamie's teacher and he came home one day, very sweetly and thoughtfully, saying that we ought to invite her over for dinner. We thought it was a great idea and we were very pleased when she and her husband accepted. When told Jamie that they were coming over the next night he looked blank and said "Husband? What husband? Leo?" No, we explained she had her own husband and they were both coming. He accepted this at the time but wouldn't really acknowledge the husband's existence after that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL! Why IS it so hard to participate in the superhero game? It was just Finn and I one day and he wanted me to play. It became very apparent very quickly that I was no good at this game and we needed Liam back pretty desperately.