Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I submit as evidence...

As we have noted, the boys would seem to be well-prepared for a career in law. Usually we cite their almost uncanny memory for precedent and a determined, if often misguided, sense of justice. But a recent episode revealed that Jamie may also have a flair for courtroom dramatics.

Jamie takes the law seriously of course, i.e. he is passionate about following rules and very afraid of being on the wrong side of them. Now, getting them out to school in the morning is a challenge. Frankly they are just a little slow to get moving in the morning and let's face it they come by it honestly. Their ideal is to ease into the day by transitioning from the bed to the couch, watching a show and then facing breakfast, then playing for a while. We just don't have time for this on school days. So it's a bit of a fight to get them out and to school on time, but we almost always manage it.

I guess the "almost" is important. One day last semester I was about 5 minutes late getting Jamie there for one reason or another. I thought I was within in the window of acceptability though, so when he came home asking me why he had been tardy, I told him we were just running a little behind schedule, and that I was sorry but that I didn't think he was officially tardy. "Oh really?" he said leadingly. Then he paused, and asked sharply, "Then how do you explain...THIS?" and he reached into his pocket and pulled out a slip of paper with his name, picture and the word "TARDY" in big block letters. I confess I was speechless. He might as well have said "May I remind you that you are under oath sir?"

Case closed, Daddy guilty on all charges.

No comments: