Friday, September 9, 2011

Down the street

One of the reasons we chose our neighborhood is that we were seeking a community and a little bit more of an organic childhood experience for the boys. I suppose this means we didn't want it always to have to be arranged play-dates that we plan and drive them to, etc. Indeed this has worked out as we have wonderful neighbors and great friends for the boys. I realize though that we're not totally prepared to deal with what this means all the time. The other day our friends down the street invited the boys over at the last minute. Connor was sick and couldn't go, so Jamie sensed an opportunity. He has been agitating for permission to walk there by himself (it's across the street and about 3 houses down) but our usual excuse is that we can't let Connor go without us. With that out of the way Jamie pounced. I said yes but that I would watch him, which elicited a groan. "I don't need you to watch me!" Before I even realized it I was confessing: "I know Jamie but I need it." There is something in here about us growing up more slowly than they do. Anyway, I told him I wouldn't watch, but did so discreetly from a window. That's lying I know, but it was the best I could offer.

1 comment:

Nonni and Diddy said...

How well I remember standing with my heart in my mouth in the field in front of our house watching the yellow flag on your bike go down Croton Lake Road the first time you rode it to Eric Kusisto's house.