Saturday, September 17, 2011

Here we go again





Well folks, in the strange calendar of Texas it is time for Fall baseball. It may seem soon, but to be honest Jamie has been chomping at the bit, asking for the past month when baseball starts. Here are some great pictures from last year.

For myself, I am also happy it's beginning, but also not quite ready for the intensity of it. Jamie, of course, takes it very seriously, too. Watching him bat is a bit torturous, I just want him to do well so badly, but mainly because I know he does as well.

I thought I would recap some of the excitement from last year. Having had a good but not great regular season, our team, which was younger and smaller than most went on a hot streak that led into the playoff. The first game was frankly one of the greatest sporting events I have ever witnessed. Honestly, the only baseball games I can think of that rival it for me are the 1986 Mets playoff and World Series games.

So we won 16-15 in 7 innings. It was a see-saw battle the whole game, with both teams playing their hearts out, many good plays in the field great hitting, and the usual element of chaos. They went up 3-0, then we went up 5-3, then they were up 8-5 and it went back and forth until we were down 11-10 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 4th and Jamie came up with a runner on third. I could tell he knew it was a big moment and he dug in and got a hit to tie it at 11. After he was safe at first the first baseman bobbled the ball, however, and for reasons known only to him he took off for second with the first baseman standing right there. After recovering from his surprise, the 1B picked up the ball and starting chasing Jamie, who after a brief moment of doubt is now running hell for leather for second. Now this kid is eight and looks literally about twice Jamie's size. I think this helped motivate him because I have never seen Jamie run anything close to that fast and he beat him to second by a hair. I was actually lying on the ground by the time he got there.

But then they go up 15-11 in the top of the 5th. We score 4 to tie it in the bottom and just missed getting the lead, and hold them to 0 runs for the first time in the top of 6. But it's the bottom of our order and we go down 1-2-3. So it's on to extra innings and we've got their big hitters up. But we hold them again and now things look good. Our #12 hitter leads off and dinks one in front of the plate. Would have been out by a mile but they overthrow first so I send him to second, they overthrow second and he goes to third. It's no outs and the top of our lineup. The leadoff hitter hits a grounder to third and they don't even through to first so we just hold the runner. Next kid hits one to the outfield game over. Crazy. Don't know how many more of those I can take. And that was just the beginning of the playoffs.

No comments: