Monday, August 9, 2010

Change is a-comin'

Jamie has seemed quite reconciled to the fact that he is starting a new school this Fall. Perhaps surprisingly, I think that it actually helps that Connor is going to be at their old school still. This means that Jamie can think of it as a little-kids situation, just like when he left pre-school for St. C's.

But I think there is some anxiety. He won't say so exactly, but it may be emerging in other ways. Last week they went to a baseball camp in the mornings. Both seemed to enjoy it well enough, though Connor claimed otherwise, as always. It's not clear exactly how much baseball they actually played, since it was very hot and they also seem to have spent a lot of time on the playground, but whatever; it's all good. Jamie says he didn't do that well hitting because they threw underhand and he is better with overhand.

Anyway, this week Jamie is doing basketball and Connor soccer. Jamie had been initially extremely favorable about basketball, I think because he hears about me playing. But suddenly this weekend he became apprehensive, saying he was a little scared to start a new class at camp. When I took them this morning, it was a little chaotic and Jamie, quite uncharacteristically these days, was clearly anxious. I sat with them until the counselors got everybody together. Jamie was tearing up a little, but he was being so brave, he was really fighting it off and trying to stay cool. I think that this is really a bit of new school anxiety coming out with the camp, but I'm really impressed at how he's handling it, so I think that bodes well.

No comments: