Sunday, March 16, 2008

Oh, the places we won't go!

Jamie is becoming more and more imaginatively adventurous. Yesterday after his "nap" he told me he'd been down there whispering to himself, telling himself a story. It was probably about him and his friend Shawnie and their endless pursuit of the bad guys. Jamie is fully invested in the old good guy/bad guy dichotomy. I picked the boys up from school Friday afternoon and got Jamie first, then we went in to get Connor, who was watching some manner of video. Nothing was remarked about it at the time but when we got to the car, with the piles of stuff that comes home on Fridays, Jamie starting asking what they had been watching. I don't know I said. But who were those guys in the show, he said. Really, Jamie, I don't know. But it boiled down to him needing to know: "Are they good guys or bad guys?" He wanted me to get them both out of their car seats and go back and watch so we could find out.

He is also very much in a Dr. Seuss phase right now, and it's wonderful see how this fuels his imagination. The undefinable quality of many of the creatures also fascinates him.

All of this has been leading to an increase in nightmares I think. He's woken up crying a few times in the last week. Last night this happened and I went down and he told me his dream had been about lava. He's a little obsessed with volcanoes and is clearly both attracted and scared by them. I told him it was fine, though, and that as we've talked about, there are no volcanoes in Houston so no lava. "Dad," he said, "let's not go to Hawaii. It's scary there."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that should save you some expensive vacation plans at least, right? :-)

Unknown said...

Yeah. Now I'm hoping he has a bad dream about Disneyland!