Saturday, November 24, 2007

We don't like G-U-N-S. Do we?

Jamie has been blissfully ignorant of the nature of guns for a long time, even here in "I've got a right to defend myself" Texas. But he came home from school the other week saying that he and his friends had been shooting T-Rexes. With what? we asked. Guns, he replied. So we talked to him about how guns hurt people and they arent good toys, etc. He has since been very good and when there has been T-Rex hunting going on they've used swords, which we find a reasonable compromise. More chivalrous or something.

Then, the other week we were over at the Bradys, and Paul and I were watching the boys while Claire and Sarah were out. We were playing for a while and the TV was on the background. It was a 60s black and white submarine movie. Nobody was paying much attention to it, until I noticed that there was a battle scene going on with torpedoes, exploding ships and strafing fighters. I looked over to find Jamie quite transfixed. I said to Paul that perhaps wed better change it since it was getting a little violent. Jamie looked at me wide-eyed and said, "But I LIKE this!" Ah, boys.

No comments: