Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bedtime trouble

Every night the boys get to "read" in bed. I put it quotes because Connor can't read, really. But he likes to look through the pictures and then ask for a bookmark when it's time for lights out. But tonight after we got back from our great trip to Nonni and Diddy's, we were getting ready for bed and he decided he wanted to do some coloring. Since we were literally off to brush teeth I said no, but we'll do it first thing tomorrow, trying to be cheerful. But no, he wanted to do it in bed. I felt I needed to draw the line here a bit so I stuck to my guns. He got very very unhappy and there was a scene.

Eventually I used the opportunity of him crying to brush his teeth for him (mouth's already open after all---is that bad of me?) and sent him off to bed. He started quietly playing with some Lego ships in their room and I told him he could do that while Jamie read for a few minutes, as long as he was quiet about it. But then Jamie starts freaking out because he doesn't want Connor to break his Legos. So then Connor freaks out. Eventually I get Jamie to relent as Connor very seriously promises to be super careful. So I leave the room in peace. Five minutes later Connor comes out and says he needs my help. As we get to the door, he whispers, "Don't tell Jamie!!" Sure enough, there is a broken Lego ship on the ground. Unbelievable! So I am now stealthily rebuilding it while Connor keeps intoning, "Don't tell Jamie!" Miraculously the surgery was completed and Jamie never knew.

1 comment:

Nonni and Diddy said...

No it is not bad of you. You are the most patient daddy ever - a hard act to follow for aspiring overindulgent grandparents. Perhaps another expensive trip to Target will trump you....hmmm.