Monday, April 11, 2011

Why sometimes children should be heard but not seen

The boys fight constantly of course. I understand this is a fact of life and will be the case until they go to college at which point they can unite in discussing how strange their parents are. But they also play more and more these days and the moments of genuine, unaffected fun between them are heaven. Yesterday, we turned the sprinklers on in the back yard and let them run around in them since it hasn't rained in Houston in months (I'm actually not exaggerating). It was great sitting inside listening to them scream with delight. Connor also has this wonderful rippling laugh which I started to hear a lot of, so I came over to look out the window in eager anticipation of a moment of fraternal accord. What I saw, however, was Jamie sticking a plastic ball into the sprinkler then putting his lips on the ball and spluttering the liquid at Connor's face, as they both laughed riotously. Kind of wished I'd just been left with the sound of laughter.

No comments: