Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Know thy brother, know thyself

We were at a pizza restaurant last night and Connor, as usual, was charming the waitress with his cute little, cherubic face, winning smile and silliness. She asked if he was tired (we were out later the usual after a baseball game - I'll have posts about baseball soon). He said no, and she said "Really? It's very late, you must be." Connor insisted that he was not at all tired. When she turned to Jamie he said, matter of factly, "You can't trust Connor." I'm afraid he's right. Jamie is incapable of any kind of sustained dishonesty or subterfuge. He doesn't even manage to stay hidden for long in hide and seek because he feels compelled to come clean about his location. I think he's bothered when someone else stays hidden because it must feel dishonest to him. Connor, on the other hand, loves nothing more than effectively hiding and would stay there forever, particularly if he had some forbidden treat to work on.

Jamie is also getting a sense of himself. He said to me the other day "I thought I was really fast and really strong, but -------- H. (kid in his class) is much stronger and faster." I was able to point out that said child was held back a year and is almost 9, but Jamie wasn't distressed, just found it curious.

No comments: