Monday, May 10, 2010

We're with alacrity!

One of the ways Sarah and I spend a lot of our time is in "encouraging" the boys to do things they don't want to do: getting out of the door, getting into the car, getting into their car seats, going to the bathroom, washing their hands, getting their pajamas on, getting into bed...You get the idea. Pretty much anything we want them to do they drag their feet as much as possible.

You can well imagine that after pleading, begging, cajoling and bribing them to get a move on in a variety of ways we get a little punchy and begin seeking new ways of saying the same things. Now Sarah usually likes to needle me, not without good reason, for the way my sometimes esoteric word usage and over-elaborate sentence structure finds its way into the boys developing speech. In this case, however, it was all her. One day, exasperated while trying to get the boys out the door to school, she said, "Come ON boys! Let's move with alacrity!" She didn't think too much of it until the next day. As she again exhorted the boys to get moving Connor started off cheerfully and looked back and asked, "Am-am-am- I wiff....a-la-cri-teeee?!!!" Sarah almost fell over. Since then he continues to use his new word, when it suits him, to highlight his compliance, always pronouncing it carefully: "Look mommy! I-I-I'm doing a-la-cri-teee!"

No comments: