Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Our little outlaw

As much as Jamie likes to test the limits of our rules, as far as society as a whole goes, he is a very good little citizen. Last year I took him to a Rice football game. Knowing that he would be thirsty, and knowing that all you can get are $4 lemonades there, I decided we would bring in a full sippy cup. Technically this is verboten, but nobody was going to really give us a hard time. Knowing that Jamie likes secrets and games, I figured it would be fun to hide the cup so I told him I would put it in my coat and sneak it in. He got very quiet and then said, "Dad, I really don't want to bring it in. Can we leave in the car?" I felt a little sheepish but didn't think about it much again until...

This weekend we went to the zoo. As we got back to the car, Jamie played a joke by saying "Hey, this isn't our car, why are you getting in it?" Again, thinking to get in on the funny joke I said, "You're RIGHT, Jamie. But let's get in anyway." He asked what I meant and as I opened the doors to our car said, thinking again that this was a joke he had started, "Just get in, we'll steal this car." Jamie became alarmed. "I don't like this," he said. "It makes my tummy hurt." Turns out he was talking about the car next to us. He's been bringing it up all week too. Tonight at dinner he asked my why I had done that and said that just thinking about it made his tummy hurt again. Bad Daddy. Bad Daddy.

No comments: