Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Hide and seek

This is a big game right now with the boys of course and can be lots of fun. Connor gets really into it, though he's not quite gotten the idea of staying hidden. Generally, while you count he goes off to hide as normal, but when you finish he immediately comes running out gleefully saying "You found me!!"

Yesterday after school I took the boys to Chick-fil-A for dinner. This is sort of a Monday tradition. There is a jungle gym there so after we ate we went to play. Jamie of course wanted all of us to play hide and seek, but it's a kid-size jungle gym so it's pretty tough for me to really disguise myself. So he and Connor played, which was funny to watch. There are two benches in the corner where the seeker goes to count, and a little Connor-sized gap in between them. When Jamie started counting Connor, with a very sneaky look on his face, began settling into the gap, and so placed himself approximately 1 foot from Jamie. "Connor," I said, "go hide where Jamie can't see you." Of course, he got a wounded look on his face and said, "But I WANT to hide HERE!" Okay, sorry, I said. So Jamie finished counting, looked at Connor and said "I found you!" My how they laughed. Shows what I know.

So this took about 8 seconds because Jamie counts very fast. Then it's Jamie's turn to hide and Connor's to count. This is produces an almost opposite result. Connor is to count to twenty. So he slowly begins, "One.............................two..............................free..............." and so on until after some time he reaches "firteen.........fourteen........................sixteeen..........................eleventeen...." Here Jamie interjects from his hiding spot several feet away, "Conno. Eleventeen is not a number." "Oh," Connor says.

So now he begins again. "One.............................two..............................free..............." Eventually, it's back to "firteen.........fourteen..................sixteeen.......................... eleventeen........................eight, nine...............................twenty-free............ twenty-four..............." Realizing that having skipped twenty he was going to keep going indefinitely, I cheerfully interjected "Twenty, Connor! Go find Jamie!" I got the hurt look and he said, "NO!!! I want to do it." Then a pause, followed by: "One.............................two............. .................free..............."

No comments: