Thursday, July 9, 2009

Connor's life as an only child

There is no question that Connor missed Jamie and Mommy intensely. But there is also no doubt that he got used to being an only child. Connor had, half the family went to Cyprus, been a fairly typical second child is as much as he was accustomed to having to compete with his brother for our attention, and he was fairly used to not having his requests filled as immediately as they always were for Jamie.

Well, all that changed once he realized that with Jamie gone, I really had no purpose other than serving him. He very quickly became very impatient with we. As much as anything, it was my attention that he demanded. When he asked for my attention, he would become indignant if I didn't immediately acknowledge him and shout "DADDY!" One night we were at a friend's for dinner and I was talking to the other grown-ups. Connor was sitting next to me and started asking for my attention. I politely asked him to wait for a moment until I was done talking. After trying twice Connor reached over and put his hands on either side of my face. Then, with me still trying to speak, he used his surprisingly strong little arms and pulled my face around to look at him. Then, with his big blue eyes inches away from mine he said sternly "DADDY!!! LOOK...AT...MEEEEE!" Everyone was very impressed.

No comments: