Monday, December 10, 2007

A decisive little fellow

Yes, our Connor, small though he be, knows what he wants and tends to be very effective in getting it. Sure, this is true of lots of babies and toddlers but in comparison to Jamie there is something so much more direct and decisive about Connor. This is particularly true as relates to food of course, but covers lots of things. Often he becomes fixated on one particular object of desire and shows remarkable tenacity when we try and remove it from his mind. When, in a blatant attempt to curry favor with Jamie, we went to Chuck E. Cheese the other day, for instance, Connor got OBSESSED with the hard, orange skee-balls. He usually tries to mimic Jamie, who was himself hurling them up the ramp with limited success, but in this case Connor really wanted to place the ball over his own very round head and then fling it forward so that it smacked hard against the plastic side of the ramp. He wanted to keep doing this. We, however, after about 20 minutes, wanted to leave. He screamed, I mean screamed, the moment a hand was laid to the ball to take it away.

This morning when I took him to school, I put him down on the floor while I got his lunch and blanket ready to give to the teachers. By the time I had readied myself to go Connor had decided he wanted to stay with me (Mondays tend to be a little clingy), so he started marching towards the door I had just opened and raised a surprisingly strong arm to stop it from closing while he marched through. I picked him up and brought him back in and he was about to really get mad when his teacher produced his sippy cup and a snack. He then turned his back on me, flung his pacifier and woobie to the side and marched over saying "ma-ma-ma" (yum yum yum).

No comments: