Friday, September 7, 2007

Do as I tell you

Jamie has developed the very appealing habit of creating conversations between his toys as he plays with them. This must be nice because it is clear that we don't always say the things he wants us to. This was demonstrated in a recent exchange. First he told me to sit on the low window sill of our living room window, behind the chair. He then stood on the sill, only about 6 inches off the ground and said "Dad, tell me to get down." Well, I said I don't think you need to get down. "No, Dad, you have to tell me to get down," he said impatiently. So I told him to get down and figured that was that. But no, he stayed there and said "Say why Dad." "Okay," I said, "Why." "No Dad, tell me why I have to get down." "But I don't know why Jamie," I honestly answered. He sighed, "Tell me I have to get down so we can hide from Mommy." So I told him. Seems the whole thing was about playing hide and seek with Mommy, who was of course upstairs and had no notion that she was supposed to come find us. Even so, I stayed put until I had express permission to leave.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun game! Good thing he has such a clear understanding of following directions!!