Thursday, December 20, 2012

The State of Santa

Well, Christmas approaches with much anticipation in the Costello household. Connor, in his sweet way, is happily expecting Santa. Sarah did this thing where you can get Santa to send a personalized video greeting. Connor was a little anxious until Santa told him he was officially on the "nice" list, to which he responded with his signature arms-raised "YES!" exclamation. Unlike Jamie, who began pressing for the practical details of Santa, and testing the logical flaws of the whole thing when he was four, Connor has no inclination to question Santa at all.

Jamie, meanwhile, has gone back into full belief mode. As I have mentioned, last year in the lead-up to Christmas he cornered me outside, away from Connor, and asked very directly for the truth about Santa. Unlike the other times, I sensed that he really wanted to know this time, and he handled it fine then. But this year, when we were visiting the cousins in Austin, we all watched Elf. A great time was had, but after the movie, I found Jamie crying in his room alone. I asked what was wrong and was horrified to hear: "I wish you never told me about Santa!!!" Bad daddy!!! Bad daddy!!!

So after that he has basically decided to forget that I did tell him and is back in full-on Santa mode. I think playing it up for Connor helps with this as well. So, ho-ho-ho it is!!

No comments: