Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mr. Nice guy

Jamie had a playdate yesterday at a friend from school's house. As soon as he got wind of this Connor asked if he was going too, and was quite disconsolate on hearing no. He doesn't seem to quite understand that he needs to make his own friends. Even when he does he would usually ditch them in a second for Jamie and his buddies.

So we dropped Jamie off and I asked Connor if he would like to do something special to make up for it. I would have gone pretty far with this, but he said excitedly "Go home and play war!" This is is favorite game lately and it made me realize how big a deal it is for Connor to have our undivided attention. I said sure but asked him to think a little bigger still and he came up with an Orange Icee.

On the way to the playdate I had been reminding Jamie to use good manners. When I pulled into the parking spot with Connor later, he said, pretty much out of nowhere, "I'm sure Jamie will use good manners." Yes, I said, because he's such a nice person. "He's nice to everybody except me," Connor said, matter-of-factly. I couldn't really deny the truth of it, but I said sometimes he's nice to you. Connor said, "Yeah. When he teaches me how to draw machine guns." That had been the morning activity. Awww!

No comments: