Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sleepovers

As an only child I learned to truly cherish the sleepover. Jamie seems to have inherited this. Not unlike many children, of course, his main goal is to sleep with one of us in the room/bed. We can't blame him. One of the reasons we want to move is that we are sympathetic to the fact that it must seem like we are a long way away when we are upstairs. So lately I've been having sleepovers with Jamie, where I sack out on the futon in his room. It is hard with him, because as always, once he gets a little he pushes for more and would really like to have me there all the time.

We had a New Year's sleepover last night, but already tonight he was clamoring for another. He was tired and he does get a little nervous downstairs without us, but tonight he was really struggling. So I went down to try and reassure him that even if I wasn't in the room I was always nearby and would never let anything happen, etc., etc. It seemed to be working, and then he asked if I was going on any trips soon. Aww, how sweet I thought, he's worrying about me not being here. But when I said no, I wasn't going away anytime soon, he looked a little crestfallen and said, "Oh, because when you go away I can sleep with mommy!" So much for my big parenting moment!

No comments: